Dedicated Norfolk Attorneys Assist Victims of Bicycle Accidents
Richard Serpe named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Norfolk (2020)
Virginia law firm represents riders injured in crashes with motor vehicles
Riding a bicycle is an activity that provides physical and emotional rewards. However, busy roads and inattentive drivers can trigger a devastating accident in a split second. When this occurs, the personal injury lawyers at Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, P.C. help clients seek compensation for medical costs, lost wages, pain and disability resulting from the crash. When bike riders are on the road with cars and trucks, they are at a disadvantage due to the massive imbalance in weight and power. As experienced litigators, we can help ensure that your legal rights are protected in the event of an accident.
Types of compensation that may be available to you
Depending on the specifics of the crash, cyclists may be entitled to one or more of the following types of compensation:
- Medical bills. When a negligent driver has caused your injuries, you shouldn’t have to pay for the medical treatment you receive. You may be able to recover costs including hospital bills, physical therapy and any future medical expenses associated with the injury.
- Lost wages. Bicycle accidents can put people out of work for days, weeks and even months. If your bicycle accident injures cause you to miss work, you can sue for the paychecks you missed out on. If you are unable to return to work because of your injuries, future loss of income may be included in you settlement.
- Pain and suffering. The emotional and psychological pain of an accident can outlast even the most serious of physical injuries.
- Punitive damages. Reckless, careless drivers are often punished for their negligence through punitive damages. In addition to compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, punitive damages serve as a deterrent for the driver.
- Wrongful death. When a cyclist is killed in a crash, they leave behind bills and funeral costs – and the loss of future income for their family. Of course, their loss is felt emotionally as well. This loss of companionship and affection is priceless. The Virginia Wrongful Death Act provides a framework to compensate family members for certain losses
Skilled advocates work to hold negligent drivers accountable
Even with the large number of bicycles on the road today, car and truck drivers often fail to take proper precautions. Our lawyers thoroughly investigate each matter to determine whether evidence of negligence exists. Bikes can be especially vulnerable when other common vehicle accident causes are present, such as:
- Distraction due to cellphones or other devices
- Unsafe speed
- Failure to adhere to traffic rules and directions
- Hazardous conditions
- Drowsy driving
- Impairment due to consumption of alcohol or drugs
We understand that the trauma of a serious accident often leads to difficulty recalling specific details of the incident. Firm attorneys will work with witnesses, gather physical evidence, and call upon experts when necessary to build the strongest possible case.
Knowledgeable counselors work hard for accident victims
If you have been hurt, quick legal support might be the difference between a favorable outcome and a loss of your legal right to recovery. Our attorneys will get to work immediately on your behalf in pursuit of a successful verdict or favorable settlement. Under Virginia law, you only have a limited time to file a lawsuit, so contacting the diligent attorneys at Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, P.C. can initiate the litigation process before it’s too late.
Contact our experienced attorneys if you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident.
Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, P.C. has been helping injured clients in Virginia for 10 years. Our lawyers can assess your case and work diligently for a fair result. Call 757-828-1026 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.